Saturday, February 23, 2008

CGA Course

I had decided that I should upgrade my profession here in Canada. In this way, I will be more confident and loaded with knowledge when I start to look for a job in Calgary.

I enrolled and tried to pursue to have a CGA (Certified General Accountant) title while I am working here in Nigeria. My course will still go a long way as the registrar only allows me to take 1 subject per session. There are 4 sessions in a year. I need to take 8 subjects plus on the job training. It will take me at least 3 years to finish this course.

This session I enrolled in a business law (law1) class. The subject consists of the following areas:

1. Canadian Legal System
a. Nature of law
b. Categories of law
c. Origins of law
d. Sources of law
e. The law in Canada
f. Human rights law
g. The Canadian Charter of Right and Freedoms
h. The system of courts
i. Using the Courts
j. Legal costs
k. Alternatives to court action
l. Advantages and disadvantages of ADR
2. Tort and professional liability
a. Tort law
b. The bases for liability in tort
c. Intentional torts to person or property
d. Intentional torts unique to business
e. Law of negligence
f. Award of damages for negligence
g. Professional liability for negligence
h. Professional liability
i. Professional organizations
3. Formation of the contractual relationship
4. Interpreting the contract and terminating the contractual relationship
5. Special Contracts
a. Contract of Sale
b. Insurance and employment
6. Debtor and creditor relations

You may wonder what is the point to enumerate the areas covered by subject I am taking now. It is just a waste of time and effort to type them. Well for me to study profoundly, I used to write the sentences and ideas in order for me to retain them inside my brain. Interestingly, it is one of my effective methods of learning.

From now one, I will discuss topics referred to as outlines, discussions and examination blueprint on my blog.