Monday, February 25, 2008

Now, I know

Life as well as love is very much hard to understand. As an OFW, most of my adult life I am working hundred miles away from home. Once I step my one foot in a different land away from my family, homesickness immediately jump all over my head, a gloomy struggle of life continues. There is a sudden urge that I want to go back as quickly as arrive or I wish that my vacation is now due and dreaming taking another flight going to Philippines.

Well, life is full of irony. When my contract ended and I was demobilized, I intended to stay in Philippines for good. I searched for a job in my own country and luckily found one. Despite the fact that homesickness is always popping in my mind whenever I am away from home, there is still a deep feeling of emptiness and thinking of loss of financial opportunity whenever I stay and work in the Philippines. Money is practically just a printed paper. However, its power and attraction are so powerful enough to make your mind throw out of proportion. It is really a root of all evils. Luring oneself to work overseas to earn better is hard to ignore.

We are aware that there are so many disadvantages when a parent is working overseas. In spite of these, OFWs including me are taking all the chances just to have a better future for his or her children.

It is more reasonable to suffer alone while working overseas rather to see the whole family undergoes economic hardship. It is a huge sacrifice and sometimes this sacrifice is in futile as family become derailed.

Now, I known - being an OFW is not so easy, you need to persevere, build a close relationship with members by writing and calling them, work hard and at the same time pray a lot to be successful.