Saturday, March 1, 2008

Accidental Hero

I am trying to remember the plot of the movie – accidental hero. If I am not mistaken, the story revolved to a man who had saved many lives during a fatal plane crash accident. Unfortunately, an impostor claimed the credit as a hero himself. The real hero in fact is reluctant to help but due to such opportunity accidentally presented in front of him. He was forced to do such thing as his conscience dictated. Everything happened accidentally.

What is the point I am driving at. You see every citizen of the Philippines including its Government affirm that OFWs are real hero. Being an OFW, do I consider myself a hero? Did I sacrifice something for the betterment of every Filipinos? Of course, I send back my salary in form of remittance back home – which considered by many a good deed to make the economy afloat, eventually making us a hero.

No high-salary job opportunity available to me is the main factor that I dragged myself to work overseas. Leaving my family, experiencing homesickness boredom and facing dangers on my place of work are few examples of sacrifices I made. But, this doesn’t make me a hero of feel like one.

If good and equal job opportunities are also available in the Philippines, of course, there is no point going away from home. I received equal benefits for these sacrifices. This is not a voluntary act to help others without receiving anything. Working abroad like any other jobs, you normally face risk. These sacrifices are simply part of occupational hazard.

I wish I am a hero but I guess am not. And that’s the truth.